Southern Rock Climbing Centre is an exciting and accessible way to explore the challenges of climbing. It provides an intense experience that combines exercise with mental focus and problem-solving skills at a place to meet like-minded, active people.
Southern Rock is the only climbing venue in the Durban metropole. Here young and old can find the best advice and quality climbing gear to help them to experience climbing, learn the ropes and train to take their climbing to the next level.
Friendly and experienced staff will guide you through our facility, helping to maximise your experience in a safe environment. From absolute beginners to experts trying to push their limits, there are routes to suit everyone, and training courses that match your level of experience.
Southern Rock Level 2 Re-opening
Southern Rock is currently open under Level 2 – please book your session – BOOK YOUR SESSION HERE.
From Monday, 24 August, our doors will reopen with several changes that allow the best possible hygiene and social distancing given the nature of our business and the physical constraints of the venue. We will be asking our customers, members and community to support these initiatives through taking the following actions:
Gym Operating Hours:
12:00–22:00 (Monday to Friday)
9:00–17:00 (Saturday, Sunday and public holidays)
Gym Booking Sessions:
Climbing sessions will be 105 minutes and are scheduled as follows:
Five sessions during weekdays (including Friday):
- 12:00 – 13:45 –> Session 1
- 14:00 – 15:45 –> Session 2
- 16:00 – 17:45 –> Session 3
- 18:00 – 19:45 –> Session 4
- 20:00 – 21:45 –> Session 5
Four sessions over weekend days (including public holidays):
- 09:00 – 10:45 –> Session 1
- 11:00 – 12:45 –> Session 2
- 13:00 – 14:45 –> Session 3
- 15:00 – 16:45 –> Session 4
Please note the following in preparation for your session:
- We have implemented a comprehensive and intentional hygiene and social-distancing protocol. This will include a reduction in staff numbers on site, pre-screening upon entry, sanitising of common surfaces and ablutions between sessions and the availability of hygiene stations within the gym. You will be presented with a new gym code of conduct in this regard during your first return visit.
- Wearing of masks, covering both your mouth and nose, is compulsory at all times.
- Please try not to use cash; rather pay by card or Zapper.
- Take your temperature at home before you leave for the gym (or anywhere in public for that matter). If you have a temperature >37 °C and one or more of the following symptoms – cough, muscle pain, severe headache, sore throat or runny nose, breathlessness or diarrhea – then please do NOT come to the gym but contact your doctor for advice.
- If you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the last ten days then you should not go anywhere in public (or come to the gym).
- When you are climbing at the gym it is your responsibility to focus on hygiene – keep your hands clean, practice good cough and sneeze etiquette and respect our community by electing NOT to come to the gym should you be displaying any of the above-mentioned symptoms.
- During Level 2 and Level 1 lockdown we require all climbers to use a base layer of liquid chalk (for both hand sanitising and hold hygiene) while climbing. Furthermore, we ask that you use the hand sanitiser stations on arrival and throughout your visit.
Unfortunately, the need for ‘social distancing’ does mean our focus is shifting to providing a facility for you to train and climb – we will also miss the social element of our wonderful sport and community and look forward to being back in full swing once we have worked through the pandemic.
We thank you for your continued support over the years and your understanding in helping Southern Rock survive the COVID-19 pandemic. Southern Rock has been born, run and kept alive by a collective of like-minded climbers. We know you all, care for you all and consider you friends.
Please continue to check in here on our website regularly for the latest details and we will update you on any further changes.
|Standard Rates||Adults||Students/Scholars||MCSA Members Adults||MCSA Members Students/Scholars|
|Monthly Debit Order||R435||R330||R385||R305|
|Quarterly Pass(3 months no joining fee)||R1685||R1265||R1555||R1180|
|Joining Fee (includes the first month)||R330||R245||R295||R230|
*as of March 2020